Wednesday 2 October 2019

Freiwerk Nonanarratives - The Mystery Of Sigma LeBlanc


In the middle of the town of Caladay, Sigma LeBlanc was making a whole bunch of drunks happy. He had just offered to cover the tab of every patron at the bar, buying drinks left and right, while singing a merry jig. Sigma himself was inebriated beyond belief, having gulped down an entire bottle of the most expensive item the bar had to offer – a bottle of Kentucky bourbon that Ulysses S. Grant had stashed away just in case the Confederates had won the war. The bottle had been on display there ever since the bar was opened, which was around the time that Caladay was founded. It was quite a moment for the bar, beyond the alcohol-fueled antics.
Sigma LeBlanc, originally named Samuel Weiss, was a resident in the town, one who seemed to live at the bar rather at home. There was hardly much to say about him as Samuel. From his short, portly stature, to his unkempt blonde hair, to his chalk-covered shirts and glasses more fitting of cartoony scientist’s goggles, he was as unappealing as he was a boozer.
Ever since he became Sigma, with his finer suits, darker and cleaner hair and classier glasses, he’d create a spectacle just by entering an establishment. Many in the town of Caladay would come to experience moments made by Sigma LeBlanc. Yet they couldn’t figure out what had brought about this sudden change. Some figured he won the lottery, but no convenience store had any proof of the winning ticket. Others figured that he had made a new academic breakthrough, but those were often laughed at for being so absurd. More and more speculation would pile up but none seemed to reach beyond conspiracy. Sigma himself never really wanted to speak of how he got the money. He’d much rather throw whatever bills he had in his wallet around and hope that it would finally silence the questioning.
Since he had amassed an unknown but vast amount of money, certain key figures of Caladay became interested in meeting with him. Sigma only cared to meet with one, and he chose to speak with him and his wife in his newly acquired house on the west side of town.
“Mr. LeBlanc, it is so nice to be meeting with you.”
“Yeah, I’m sure it is, Dean Palisain” Sigma made little effort to contain his resentment, as the dean firmly grasped at his hand trying to choke it. “Nice to see that you came along too, Mrs. Palisain.”
“Well, I wouldn’t have much else to do back home, and I would rather not let you two have all the fun.”
“Mmm, yes,” the dean rolled his eyes, “…anyways, Mr. LeBlanc, let’s get down to busin-”
“Wait, wait, before we get to yapping, let’s get some bubbly over here.” Sigma got up and went to fetch a bottle of fine foreign champagne. The dean scowled towards his wife but quickly changed his face as soon as Sigma turned to face him and sat back down to talk.
“So, Mr. LeBlanc…I was hoping we could get to talking about Caladay University.”
“Sure, what’cha want to talk about it?”
“Well, currently the university has been having a few financial issues. We’ve had to resort to reusing old textbooks, classes have become quite crowded and one of the libraries ended up burning down.”
“Honey, didn’t you say that the university had one library?”
“No, I said that the university has no libraries and that we use the only library the town has.”
“Okay, so you got a big mess there, and you’d like me to fork over some cash.”
“A rather succinct way of putting it, yes.”
“Well, sure, I’d be happy to help out Caladay U. Kids could certainly use the help.”
“That’s wonderful! I guess now we can open the bottle to celebrate.”
“Ah, I’m not done yet, Palasain,” Sigma remarked, as he popped the cork out, hitting a window. He took a big chug from the bottle before pouring a glass for the three of them (to which the dean pushed his away). “I’ll help you out, but you gotta do three things for me.”
“Alright,” the dean responded, tilting his head upwards, “go ahead with your requests.”
“One, all the new stuff I give Caladay U has gotta have my name on it with big shiny letters.”
“That’ll be a given…”
“Two, I want ya to get a better coach for the football team! I wanna see them in the finals!”
“I’ll see what I can do...”
“And three, I want tenure.”
“T-tenure?” The dean’s eyes popped out. “Are you insane?”
“Come on dear, I don’t think it’s that bad of a request.”
“See, your wife doesn’t think it’s a bum deal.”
“I most certainly will not give you tenure! What, you think you can just buy it from me?”
“Oh, so now you’re all Mr. Integrity, eh? Telling the profs to pass the governor’s kids was alright, but I ask you for tenure and now we’ve crossed a line.”
“I’m not giving you tenure, Mr. LeBlanc.”
“Professor LeBlanc! I. Am. A. Pro. Fe. Ssor! If you’re not giving me tenure, at least give me that!”
“I won’t give you the pleasure of such an unworthy title! In fact, I shouldn’t even be calling you Mr. LeBlanc. You remain the same pitiful Sam Weiss whose intoxicated lifestyle has sullied any decent reputation Caladay University could ever hope to achieve.”
“You’d really put your ego over possibly helping the youth of this town?”
“Quiet, woman!”
“You don’t talk to her that way.”
“I can talk to my wife in however way I want! I’m not spending another minute with you any more,” Dean Palisain growled, marching towards the door to then slam it on his way out. Sigma scoffed as he drank his glass and the dean’s, later taking another swig from the bottle. Mrs. Palisain sat there, speechless as Sigma would wither in his chair, slowly emptying out the bottle. The dean had left in the car, leaving her stranded. All she could think to ask was the question that the whole town was asking.
“Professor LeBlanc…”
“Yeah?”
“Where did all this money come from?”
“You know I’m not gonna answer that.”
“I’m not so sure about that.”
“Why not?”
“You’ve told a lot of things to me. Especially about what my husband did. I never heard a word from him.”
Sigma stared into Mrs. Palisain’s amber eyes, venturing into a reality that wasn’t so cruel. He had tried to refrain from telling her the truth, but between the emotional bond they shared and the champagne loosening his lips, he could no longer keep quiet.
“I’m just trying to make up for past mistakes, Mira.”
“What past mistakes?”
“You don’t need to know what they all. All you need to know is that they brought me here.”
“Is that why you’re now Sigma LeBlanc?”
“Among other reasons, yes.”
“I see…”
“I really did want to help those kids, Mira, I really did. But your jackass of a husband just keeps making things difficult for me,” Sigma put the bottle down, pouring another glass for Mrs. Palisain.
“Perhaps there’s some way to change this. You seem to have a lot of money. Why not try to compete with him?”
“It’s not that easy.”
Mira sighed. “It never is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment