Wednesday 2 October 2019

A Misfit Among Misfits - Getting To The Other Coast


I was out on the shore
Looking afar to the other coast
I thought I could get there
Just by going in for a swim
Little would I know
What the sea had in store for me
For as soon as I got in the water
A wave started to build

It wasn’t so bad at first
The wave was small and soft
I trudged on through the sea
Hoping to get to that coast
But then that wave grew
And it knocked me back a bit
Still I went along
Knowing where I wanted to go

As I went swimming
I saw behind no trace of land
And it seemed the other coast
Was more distant than I thought
Each wave came along
And they only grew larger
I wondered if really
It was worth it to keep going

Swimming some more
I saw schools of fish galore
Dolphins playing together
And boats where parties were thrown
I was set on that coast
For that was the only thing in mind
The only part tangible
To the abilities I had

Yet those waves struck me so strong
So violent in their energy
They only grew in size
Taking apart my strength
I wondered why I swam
Why was I so set to get there
I wasn’t sure if it was possible
Or what I was gaining in my efforts

That coast faded from my eyes
It was so foolish to think I would reach
I was already in the water now
Nothing else I could do anymore
I kept on though I was tired
Having not seen myself in so long
I had to keep on going
It only makes sense

But the waves, oh the waves
They just wouldn’t let up
From huge to giant to grand
To gargantuan and titanic
They took me and they threw me
My bearings ran amok
Where was I going at this point
Was that coast even there at all

The worst was one cataclysm
Where the wave eclipsed the sky
It engulfed me into the water
Whereupon I nearly drowned
I felt something crawl down my throat
It was round and small and bitter
I also felt my own hand on my head
Pushing me further down

Only until it all was done
Could I look upon the sea so calm
I was lost, that much I knew
And that’s what I still know
For I think I still am at that sea
Wondering where that coast will be
And fearing the coming waves
And what those will do to me

No comments:

Post a Comment